Thank you for your interest in West Texas Youth Baseball. This is not a draft league. All teams form on their own and participate in league play set up based on each teams individual level. Our program has been growing every year since 2007 and we are the largest youth baseball program in the area. We work very hard to provide our region with quality baseball. The league is run with the participants in mind seeking input from many knowledgeable baseball folks. This is the participants program, run by individuals who understand the ever changing baseball trends. The program will always strive to meet the needs of the competitive baseball teams and never allow agendas or egos to get in the way of our goal for quality baseball in this area.We are very lucky in this area to have Amarillo Rotary Baseball Association and Canyon Baseball Assoc who run a recreational baseball program, assuring any kid who wants to play baseball has an opportunity to play. We do have a Free Agent list that consist of players who are looking for a team. We would be happy to add your player to that list. Click the FREE AGENT link below to fill out the online form. This is NOT a guarantee of getting added to any of the teams, but only a way for parents to show their kids interest in playing for a team. We will remove the free agent list 1 week out from the deadlines to signup for any of the rec sign up leagues, which gives parents a chance to register their kid for the draft in these programs. We will work closely with both of the rec programs now and in the future to assure all kids have opportunities to play the great game of baseball!!
I hope this answers some of your questions. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.
A couple things. The City of Canyon has opened their online practice field reservations and there is a link on our website. I just received an email from Parks dept that we had 2 teams using them this morning. They are only open for evening use during weekdays and all day on weekends. The maintenance dept has to work them during the weekdays so make sure to not get on them before 5:00 M-F. Also, make sure you reserve the field. We also have had a couple teams ask about scrimmaging. I checked and the Governors Executive order says no game formats other than the sports with 4 or less participants before 6/15. Better not do any scrimmaging other than within your own team. Please continue to follow the guidlines the Governors office has laid out. Below is from the executive order in regards to practice and games.
Effective May 31, 2020, youth sports may begin holding practices without spectators other than one parent or guardian per participant, as needed. Those sports may begin holding games or similar competitions, with or without spectators, on or after June 15, 2020. Spectators should maintain at least 6 feet social distancing from individuals not within the spectator’s group.
Coaches and Parents,
The time we have all been waiting for is just around the corner. Games will start Monday 6/15 and as posted will run through the end of July with the end of season league tournament (Except the couple teams who requested to be done earlier). This will be an extremely busy week as we build the schedules so won't be taking calls. We will publish schedules starting Monday the 8th and have them all up by that Wednesday. We were able to get an additional complex so that will help a ton in getting everything scheduled. At this point, we can't take anymore blackouts. We have had to redo the matchups and rough draft schedule so many times as a few teams notified us after deadlines that they couldn't field a team. Below are a few things teams need to be doing this week to make sure they're ready to play on the 15th. We have a lot of teams to work through and with all that's going on, just won't have much wiggle room for last minute stuff. If you have any questions, please email and we will get back as soon as possible. This has been the toughest season ever, but it will all be worth it when we get to see those kids enjoying some baseball.
1. Make sure your USSSA online roster is updated and all players are showing as approved. 5U & 6U NEW TEAMS- WE WILL CHECK YOUR ROSTERS AND GET WITH HEAD COACH TO EXPLAIN HOW THAT WORKS. For all other teams, if you're having a problem getting a kid approved on USSSA, please send email to state dir at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will need team name, age, registration #, players name, and the emailused for parent.
2. Make sure your teams insurance policy is up to date.
3. Make sure all parents (player application) and coaches (coaches application) have filled out registration on wtyba.com.
4. Background check: If you weren't able to process one on USSSA through their new format and didn't do one for the fall 2019 season, you must do one now. Just click application at top of home page and complete there. It can take a few days to process so don't wait until the last min. ALSO REMEMBER TO DO THE COACH APPLICATION ON WEBSITE AS IT TAKES BOTH FOR A COACH TO BE APPROVED. IF YOU HAVE DONE BOTH COACH APP AND BACK GROUND CHECK AND STILL DON'T SEE YOUR NAME ON THE APPROVED COACHES LIST, SEND EMAIL WITH NAME AND WHAT TEAM YOUR WITH TO WTYBA@HOTMAIL.COM.
5. Heads up concussion link will be updated tomorrow on home page. Please remember coaches need to do this and it only takes a few minutes.
PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO ADDRESS THESE THINGS FOR YOUR TEAM NOW SO WE'RE NOT IN A BIND WHEN GAMES START. IF YOU'VE SENT AN EMAIL AND HAVEN'T RECEIVED A REPLY IN 24 HRS PLEASE TEXT 670-3164 IN CASE THE EMAIL DIDN'T COME THROUGH.
PARENTS:YOU MUST REGISTER YOUR KID ON YOUR PERSPECTIVE TEAM. IT'S SIMPLE AND MUST BE DONE BY THE PLAYERS LEGAL GUARDIAN. JUST CLICK THE "GREEN REGISTER NOW TAB", CHOOSE PLAYER REGISTRATION, AND THEN FIND YOUR PLAYERS TEAM AND COMPLETE THE FROM.
Parks: Violation of city park rules will result in suspensions. Please review rules at parks. Here's a few key issues that create problems
1. No pets inside any of the complexes.
2. No bikes, skateboards, scooters, hover boards, etc. This has become a problem. Please make sure parents know and share with family and friends.
3. Never park on developed grass areas.
4. Of course no alcohol or smoking at any field. Coaches remember this at practices in regards to alcohol. Hate to even mention but actually have had to deal with this and it's not a good situation.
5. Trash: We have a great relationship with all facility owners and part of that is because we always take care of the facilities. Never leave trash in stands or dugouts. Also when using score huts, if we don't follow written rules posted inside we will lose the ability to use them.
Please remember our league rule of borrowing or adding a player for a league game. You can borrow any player from a team in your age, or a player that’s 1 year younger as long as you clear it with the kid’s regular team and follow league rule by batting him last and can’t pitch (9-14’s). You can also add players to your regular league roster as long as they are eligible through USSSAAND the kid’s parent registers them for your team on wtyba.com and you add them to your USSSA roster. No player can participate in any West Texas Youth Baseball event without being added as stated above first. If a coach is found to be breaking this rule they will be suspended for the remainder of the season and possibly banned from the program. Sorry if this seems harsh, but we have 120 teams and are very limited with our field situation so there's not much room for changes.
STAY IN TOUCH BY RECEIVING MESSAGES IN THE FORM OF A TWITTER TEXT BY DOING THE STEPS BELOW.
Anyone in the U.S. can receive texts that WTYBA tweets directly on their cell phone.
A Twitter account IS NOT
needed to receive these tweets. This is a simple way to receive information.
If you wish to receive texts of tweets from WTYBA on your cell phone, send a text message to 40404. In the body of the text, enter: "follow wtyba"
You will receive a text immediately stating:
"You're now following @wtyba. Their tweets will be sent to you. Send OFF @wtyba to stop." If Twitter suggests people for you to follow, WTYBA DOES NOT endorse any of these suggested Twitter contacts.Texting rates may apply depending on individual cell phone plans.